Friday, April 2, 2010

The Small Moments

I know it has been a momentous week for all the Regular Decision applicants to the Class of 2014. I am sure that my colleagues and I will post some more reflections on the selection process in the coming days and weeks.

For now, though, it is a beautiful Friday afternoon in Hanover with students all over the Green enjoying the 75 degree weather - a welcome sign that spring is at hand. I wanted to share a cool Dartmouth moment I observed yesterday. As I walked out McNutt Hall at lunchtime, I saw a group of students tossing a football around the Green. Someone was ambling down the path and stopped to ask if he could throw a quick pass. It was none other than President Kim, in full jacket and tie, obviously on his way to a lunch meeting. He took the football, sent one of the students on a route, and uncorked a perfect spiral. He hit the student in stride at forty yards out and then continued on his way (to some applause from those who witnessed the throw). Now, it is true that President Kim was high school quarterback, so maybe the throw was not a big surprise. But, you have to admit it is still pretty cool.

A beautiful Dartmouth moment, and one those students will definitely talk about at a reunion in 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment